• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

my story

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

USEDthenFIRED

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York

I worked as a CSR for an insurance agent. A few months ago (april) my boss -the agent- bought his girlfriend a ring, and of course he had his girlfriend insure the ring, so I wrote the policy. Shortly after she gave the ring back to him and he "lost it" and he asked me to put in the claim, so I did. I also changed the address on the policy so he (my boss) could get the paperwork on it then the check. I had no idea what I had done was fraud, but my boss got mad that i raised the flag by changing the address. the ins co was asking questions and investigated it, but then paid the claim.

Fast forword 5 or 6 months. The claim came under investigation again, ( i did notice she was wearing the ring and he asked me to book him a vacation which was hinted was beingf paid for by the claim.
Im not exactly sure why, but I was called into his office and told I was being fired for "telling the truth to an investigator. (not sure what he ment by that) so ok. I packed my desk, and left.

I was blessed to find another job very soon after being fired ( like 1 week) I was refered to a agent by a girl who worked with me with the same agent.
the new employer hired me, asked me to start tomorow, and i accepted and i lef the office happy.
before I got home I was called by the new employer and told I could not start tomorow because I was givin a bad refrence by the agent who just fired me.

can i sue for slander? unemployment? anything?

thank you

So.... he fired you, for messing up his fraudulent claim, then slandered you out of a new job?

Maby Unemployment will be quite interested in knowing thats why he fired you, but i'm not sure if you'll be approved.

VeronicaLodge

hes an agent/broker? im sure whatever agency holds his license would be very interested in this and if he is an agent with a broker over him, his broker would be interested as well.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">