• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment Being Fought

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

skywolf81

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I was laid-off from my job on the 9th of Jan. I work through a temp agency but was laid off from my place of employment. I called the temp agency after being laid-off and left a message on their main voicemail. I filed for unemployment. I have waited to receive my benefits. It has been three weeks now. Today I received a letter stating that I was terminated from the temp agency for violation of policies. I called the temp agency to ask why it was saying I was fired. They said that I did not call them. I said that i called them on the number I had always called to get a hold of them. They said I signed an agreement to call a different (corporate) number if i was terminated. I was unaware of this number. I don't know what to do. I am three weeks without a paycheck. Should I contest this? Should I get a lawyer?

Josh

mlane58

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Ohio
I was laid-off from my job on the 9th of Jan. I work through a temp agency but was laid off from my place of employment. I called the temp agency after being laid-off and left a message on their main voicemail. I filed for unemployment. I have waited to receive my benefits. It has been three weeks now. Today I received a letter stating that I was terminated from the temp agency for violation of policies. I called the temp agency to ask why it was saying I was fired. They said that I did not call them. I said that i called them on the number I had always called to get a hold of them. They said I signed an agreement to call a different (corporate) number if i was terminated. I was unaware of this number. I don't know what to do. I am three weeks without a paycheck. Should I contest this? Should I get a lawyer?

Josh
Absolutely contest it. The burden is on the employer to show any misconduct and unless they have anything extensive in writing to show misconduct, their attempt at contesting and winning to block your benefits will be IMHO a fruitless effort.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">