• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Incapacitated Son

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

shappro

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho I am looking for an alternatvie to a trust to set aside funds for the benefit of my adult son who is not able to take care of himself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If something were to happen to me how can I make sure that he is taken care of?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Idaho I am looking for an alternatvie to a trust to set aside funds for the benefit of my adult son who is not able to take care of himself. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. If something were to happen to me how can I make sure that he is taken care of?
Why are you looking for an alternative to a trust?

shappro

Thanks for looking at my post. I just want to know what alternatives are available. One too many times Iv'e been told "you didn't ask about ....." So I like to be completly informed. thanks

Zigner

Thanks for looking at my post. I just want to know what alternatives are available. One too many times Iv'e been told "you didn't ask about ....." So I like to be completly informed. thanks
You should seek a consultation with a financial adviser and an estate planning attorney.

shappro

Thanks for the advice. I would still like to be informed before I set down with professional to complete the work. I would welcome any suggestions as to how i can make sure my son is taken care of without the use of a trust. If anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it.

Zigner

Thanks for the advice. I would still like to be informed before I set down with professional to complete the work. I would welcome any suggestions as to how i can make sure my son is taken care of without the use of a trust. If anyone can help me i would greatly appreciate it.
Why do you NOT want to use a trust?

shappro

Please see post #3. I understand that you do not have the answer to my question or for some reason feel as though you want to guide me back to a trust. But really I just want to know if there are any other alternatives? It seems to me if I was an experienced attorney in this field i would be able to jot down a couple of alternatives that a person such as myself could then go research. That way when I do go sit down with an attorney I at least can ask informed questions about all the options that are available. Again thank you for your advice.

Zigner

Please see post #3. I understand that you do not have the answer to my question or for some reason feel as though you want to guide me back to a trust. But really I just want to know if there are any other alternatives? It seems to me if I was an experienced attorney in this field i would be able to jot down a couple of alternatives that a person such as myself could then go research. That way when I do go sit down with an attorney I at least can ask informed questions about all the options that are available. Again thank you for your advice.
Please see post #2 and post #4 and then answer the following question:

Why do you NOT want to use a trust?

shappro

I did not say I didn't want to use the trust. As I explained before I want to know what my alternatives are. I understand that the concept of an informed consumer seems to escape you but I would appreciate it if you would stop asking me a question that I have already answered. If, as I suspect, you don't have the answer could you please move along and leave my post to someone who knows something about the topic. Thanks again for looking at my post. I had really hoped to just get a little information about a subject I know very little about.

Zigner

I did not say I didn't want to use the trust. As I explained before I want to know what my alternatives are. I understand that the concept of an informed consumer seems to escape you but I would appreciate it if you would stop asking me a question that I have already answered. If, as I suspect, you don't have the answer could you please move along and leave my post to someone who knows something about the topic. Thanks again for looking at my post. I had really hoped to just get a little information about a subject I know very little about.
The ONLY correct answer that you can get for your specific situation is: You should seek a consultation with a financial adviser and an estate planning attorney.

shappro

That is the only correct answer that you can give. Please move on and stop harrassing my post. Obviously you don't know much about the subject or you could rattle of a couple of alternatives nothing too complicated just a general direction for me to go research. I appreciate that you review and post on here and that you by reference to your "Senior Member" post must be on here alot however I just want a little advice about what alternatives are available. Thanks again.

Zigner

That is the only correct answer that you can give. Please move on and stop harrassing my post. Obviously you don't know much about the subject or you could rattle of a couple of alternatives nothing too complicated just a general direction for me to go research. I appreciate that you review and post on here and that you by reference to your "Senior Member" post must be on here alot however I just want a little advice about what alternatives are available. Thanks again.
We don't have information on your specific situation and you seem to have an aversion to a trust that you won't explain. As such, you need to sit down, in person, and get advice.

You're welcome.

xylene

I suppose the problem is, is that we do not realize your personal financial circumstances for why you deem a trust to be inappriate or requiring an alternative.

The usual way for caring for a decedent financially after death is via trust.

Perhaps you have unusual assets or financial circumstances?

Do you have a large portion of assets that have been hidden from taxation or other assets or debts which cannot readily be inventoried?

We don't know you, or your rationale to an alternative to a trust"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">