• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to change inherited condo ownership

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Squirrel48

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My father passed away in July 2008. He had a living trust that names me and my two sisters as trustees. One of my sisters is administering the trust.

He owns a condo that was his primary residence. The Quitclaim Deed is in the name of the trust as it was before our mother died. (i.e., it's written: John Doe and Jane Doe, Co-Trustees, the John and Jane Doe Trust dated xx/xx/xxxx; after our mother died, the trust was renamed to my dad's name but the Deed was not changed).

We are currently renting the condo to a relative although we might sell it in the next year. We have done nothing to change the ownership. So our question is:

- How important is it to change the deed over to our names?
- When should it be done?
- How do we go about doing it?

So far, as far as I know, the only implication this has had is we were not able to vote in the Homeowner Association elections.

Thank you. Any additional input would be appreciated.

tecate

Tell us more about what you mean by your father renaming the trust to his name. Is this the same trust with a different name? Or a different trust with a different name? Or a subtrust under the living trust that your parents had?

Squirrel48

Sorry for the confusion. The trust is actually the same trust all along. It wasn't renamed after my mom died. There's just been one trust, and the deed of the condo is in the name of the trust.

curb1

What is the problem with keeping it in the trust until it is sold? When you are ready to sell, go ahead and sell. The money will then go into the trust. Then the money is then split among beneficiaries and the trust closed.

tecate

You can record an affidavit of death of trustee, if you have any problems with third parties, such as the condo assoc. Usually, the title company will take care of this when you sell it.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">