• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expungment of 1st offense drug charge in NJ

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

J

JenP

In 1998 I was arrested for possession of Marijuana under 50 grams in New Jersey. When i went to court, I didn't bring a lawyer. I was told by the judge that because this was my first offense, I would have to pay a fine of close to $1000 and have 6 months unsupervised probation and as long as I stayed out of trouble for the 6 months, I would receive a conditional discharge and the incident would be expunged from my record. I never heard from the court again and was under the impression that the incident had in fact been wiped from my record. It was recently brought to my attention that this was not the case. When I went to inquire about this, they told me that I didn't file anything for an expungment and that's why it was still there. So basically what i'm asking is what I need to do to go about having this expunged from my record. What is the proper procedure.

C

collegekid

good luck

As far as i can tell, all you have to do is go the county courthouse in the county which you were arrested in. Find the circuit clerk and have them find your file and case--because you will need the case number-and final verdict--and dates--then you pay a nominal fee and the expungement request will have to be signed by a judge before it leaves the courthouse. The judge may or may not sign it, and there are criteria involved-( like, you cannot be going to trial for anything else-or have another conviction etc...each state has their own criteria). Hopefully, the judge signs the form (which is available at the circuit clerks office) and you will then eventually get a copy of the master criminal report and maybe mugshots and or fingerprints back-this is a lengthy process-i am trying to do it now-and i keep stumbling with all the beuracratic bull**** this country finds itslef wading in. Good luck!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">