• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Retaliation or not?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Discriminatedd

Hi, I'm from Illinois Des Plaines were I live and work or worked until now...

I work for a cleaning company(A company) that have contracts with many other buildings and companies. I was on one of those building (B Company) as a Dayporter for over 1 year.
2 months ago when I was cleaning I opened a door with the key the company gave me, and the Manager assistant saw me and told me that "where did I get the key?" I told her that was the key that the company (B) gave me when I started working. She call my supervisor from the A Company and been told that was a Master Key that I aint suppost to have it... and I returned it.
The B Company have 3 buildings where is 1 Dayporter for each, and one of the other Dayporter have this "master key" too, when I reported it to the managment office they told me that they will remove that key too, but they didnt, over 1 month passed and this Dayporter still had the "master key".
When I wen to the managment office to ask the reason I was told that was none of my bussines and I ask them if it was something againts me, because I couldnt understant why they make such a big deal of me having a "master key" but not even care about my co-worker's key... none of my bussiness.

They (b) call my supervisor from (A) and my supervisor told me that they didnt like me to question them and that I was going to be terminated if I didnt "behave" And I did, I been doing my work, not complaining and 2 months later... today ... my supervisor (A) told me that I was going to be transfer to another "building" with less wage...when I ask why my supervisor told me that she didnt know... but that "it was good for me"

Then after finishing my work I went to the A Company main office to know the reason why I was been terminated and been told that the Manager of the B Company didnt want me there and wanted another person... they told me that they couldnt say not and if was out of their hands to do something...

So i went back to work in B Company to talk with the Manager to see if there was anyway I could improve my performance of change something...
When I get there and start talking to him, I ask him if there was any reason for my termination and He told me "There is no reason, is just like you know, the economy is bad, and we needed it to make some changes" I ask if there it was anything I could do to solve my behavior or my way to work and He told me that is was just "the bad economy".

Later from a friends of the A Company I discovered that was going else to fit my place with the same wage and hours ... that make me thing that is wasnt because of the economy, He was just changing me without anyreason.

Since I started working on B Company the Manager didnt want in in there because I was to young and later, we had some issues because He always wanted me to do things that were not in my work schedule.

I still working for the A Company but now my wage has been downgrade and my hours might been cut...

Know...I want to know if I have a case for Wrongful Termination and/or/for Retaliation againts the B Company...because I never had trouble with no one and always have done my work... and He lied in my face about the real reasons of my termination.

Please, I would like to know if there is something I can do...because was totally unfair and without a real reason but the whim of the manager that didnt want someone causing him trouble just because I always backed up by the A Company Policy and have the right to say NO.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Please, I would like to know if there is something I can do...because was totally unfair
You can get a new job. The standard of law is not defined by what you think is fair.

and without a real reason but the whim of the manager that didnt want someone causing him trouble
I'd say a manager whose employee is "causing him trouble" is definitely a reason to terminate.

just because I always backed up by the A Company Policy and have the right to say NO.
I don't know how you think this applies to anything you're talking about.

In short, you do not sound like you have a case. You were not discriminated against based on protected classes, so you have no grounds to sue. They just didn't want you anymore. They're allowed to do that.

Beth3

I would like to know if there is something I can do...because was totally unfair and without a real reason but the whim of the manager that didnt want someone causing him trouble No. There is nothing you can do. If the client didn't want you working at their site any longer, then that's just the way it is. (And they were right that it is none of your business who has a master key and who doesn't.)

just because I always backed up by the A Company Policy and have the right to say NO. Huh? I don't know what that means but it almost certainly is irrelevant.

Discriminatedd

I might not have a case or I might didnt explain it correctly...

Ever since started working the Manager didnt want me in there because or the Age...then when they told me to do something that was not part of the Job Description I applied for...I complained and refused to do it...unsuccesfully.

The "key issue" yes in none of my bussiness, but If you think a little bit, you will wonder, why within minutes they make a such scandal for having a key...But not even care about the other key when we held the same position, wage but age ...that leads to discrimination.

Now I wasnt causing trouble thats the point I did always the work and when it was not part of the description or lead to possible injury like "cleaning" mechanical rooms. He invented the "causing trouble" just to give a reason...

And the "key issue" was just to mention something, were times when I came to talk to this Manager for work related things and I was always threated indifferent and ignored because he never wanted me to be in there cause of the age...that I belieave is discrimination...according to you guys is not enough...

The next thing is that when I asked him personally to know the reason of the termination and i was given the aswer of: "We are making some changes because of the bad economy, we are cutting personal" when I was told by the other company that he didnt want me in there.... so he LIED to me in my face. If he can terminated someone "just because" why would he lied to me? I dont understand that.

Now, he claims that because of the bad economy, and cutting personal, OK why then I was the only to get fired and he is bringing someone that will be paid the same wage, and the same hours.

I always felt this thing and many of you had felt it to...when you are talking to someone and he is like:
"when is this guy going to shup up and leave" as an example

If there is no discrimination that I can clearly see and people like him can invented reasons and do whatever they want;
There is clearly a huge flaw in the whole law

You can get a new job. The standard of law is not defined by what you think is fair.
So is defined by what they think? It was for the people and for fairness that the law was created, to be order and justice, obiously, I was wrong.

Thank you for the advice guys, no wonder why we are were we are.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">