• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Just Got A Call For Questioning At the Precint...Need Advice

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kilrmy

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

Hi everyone. I am new to the site and I hope I can get some advice and opinions. I recently broke up with a girl about 2 or 3 weeks ago. We broke up on pretty bad terms. I have not seen or spoken to her since we broke up. I do know that apparently people that I am associated with do not like her at all and they are taking it upon themselves to exact revenge on my behalf. I have been informed that since we broke up her tires have been slashed and her windshield shattered. I have also been told that she has gotten some scary text messages. I do not know who is doing it and I have been spreading the word through my group saying to cut the crap out. I received a call today from a crimes investigation officer stating that my "name came up in an investigation." I asked him what it was about and he said that someone went to him and told him that I won't leave them alone. He told me to come in on Monday night to "talk to him." So my question is, where do I stand in this situation? Am I at risk for any trouble? What should I do? I appreciate any advice. Thanks

cyjeff

If the police want to talk to you, they know where to find you.

Eventually, they will... by the way.

Be prepared to turn over a list of names of folks that may have done the damage or suffer the punishment yourself.

The damages you are talking about is felony material. This isn't a "I hope it goes away" case.

kilrmy

If the police want to talk to you, they know where to find you.

Eventually, they will... by the way.

Be prepared to turn over a list of names of folks that may have done the damage or suffer the punishment yourself.

The damages you are talking about is felony material. This isn't a "I hope it goes away" case.

I have no problem speaking to the officer. I spoke to him on the phone and set the appointment for Monday evening at 7 p.m. I don't even know where to start in regards to a list of names. As far as I know my friends don't know her cell phone number or her address. I also know that she has made quie a few enemies in the recent past. The thing is, a lot of these people know me and from what her friends have said to me my name is coming up as a reason why this is all being done to her. How can I suffer any punishment if I have not committed any crime?

cyjeff

I have no problem speaking to the officer. I spoke to him on the phone and set the appointment for Monday evening at 7 p.m. I don't even know where to start in regards to a list of names. As far as I know my friends don't know her cell phone number or her address. I also know that she has made quie a few enemies in the recent past. The thing is, a lot of these people know me and from what her friends have said to me my name is coming up as a reason why this is all being done to her. How can I suffer any punishment if I have not committed any crime?
Because, as far as the investigation goes, you are the prime suspect.

Saying that nebulous and unidentifiable people did these terrible things isn't going to hold up in court too well.

kilrmy

Because, as far as the investigation goes, you are the prime suspect.

Saying that nebulous and unidentifiable people did these terrible things isn't going to hold up in court too well.
I can understand that. The thing is that on any given day/night, I am at work...the gym...or out with a group of people. So I am covered in regards to an "alibi." I can understand that I am "prime suspect" but since I am easily able to prove that I was nowhere near her or her car then do I have any concerns?

tranquility

You have the right to remain silent. If you give up that right to remain silent, anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak with an attorney. If you so desire, but cannot afford one, an attorney will be appointed to you.

Do you understand these rights?
Do you give up your right to remain silent?
Do you give up your right to an attorney?

If they came and arrested you they would have to read something similar to the above. Because you are going in of your own accord, they probably won't. However, they're still your rights. If you actually did retain an attorney and presented this to him, the first advice would be:

STFU.

kilrmy

You have the right to remain silent. If you give up that right to remain silent, anything you say can be used against you in a court of law. You have the right to speak with an attorney. If you so desire, but cannot afford one, an attorney will be appointed to you.

Do you understand these rights?
Do you give up your right to remain silent?
Do you give up your right to an attorney?

If they came and arrested you they would have to read something similar to the above. Because you are going in of your own accord, they probably won't. However, they're still your rights. If you actually did retain an attorney and presented this to him, the first advice would be:

STFU.
I actually do have a lawyer and I did speak to him a little while ago on the phone. He said tome did you commit a crime, did you do anything wrong? I said no I didnt do anything wrong. He said ok then go speak to the police, answer any questions truthfully and honestly and you will be fine. he said if they get a little shady then to clam up and contact him. Innocence is on my side. I am innocent so i answer the questions honestly and that's that.

tranquility

Are you telling me you have retained a criminal attorney and you told him you are a suspect in any one of a number of felonies and he told you to go to the police station and talk with the police without him present?

I suggest you interview another attorney and/or you are a poor liar.

kilrmy

Are you telling me you have retained a criminal attorney and you told him you are a suspect in any one of a number of felonies and he told you to go to the police station and talk with the police without him present?

I suggest you interview another attorney and/or you are a poor liar.
I called my lawyer. Explained to him that a police officer contacted me and said to come down to talk to him. I explained I have not done anything wrong or committed any crime. He said to me ok if u have done nothing wrong or committed no crime then the police have nothing to arrest you for. He said go down to the station, answer any questions honestly and if i know who is doing things to give them up. he said dont incriminate myself, but it will be hard to do that since I am innocent. Simple

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I called my lawyer. Explained to him that a police officer contacted me and said to come down to talk to him. I explained I have not done anything wrong or committed any crime. He said to me ok if u have done nothing wrong or committed no crime then the police have nothing to arrest you for. He said go down to the station, answer any questions honestly and if i know who is doing things to give them up. he said dont incriminate myself, but it will be hard to do that since I am innocent. Simple
Do you mean to say that you already forget the lie you told earlier? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

I actually do have a lawyer and I did speak to him a little while ago on the phone. He said tome did you commit a crime, did you do anything wrong? I said no I didnt do anything wrong. He said ok then go speak to the police, answer any questions truthfully and honestly and you will be fine. he said if they get a little shady then to clam up and contact him. Innocence is on my side. I am innocent so i answer the questions honestly and that's that.

BL

First off , there has to be proof that you did the damages , sent the emails,etc .

You would be very wise , not to go to speak with the investigator .

They will hound you , tell you that they know and you know you did these things .

Tell you that you won't be in that much trouble if you come clean ( they are allowed to lie to you ) , when in fact if or when you admit it in a written confession , they will throw the book at you .

They may tell you that they have your fingerprints .

Get everyone's drift , now ???

If and when , they come and arrest you , remain silent and obtain a creditable attorney .

seniorjudge

If your lawyer really said that, fire him, then hire another lawyer.

And do not talk to the cops without a lawyer.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">