• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployment insurance denial

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rossatf

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York
I was involved in a company downsizing in November 2008. At that time I was allowed to retire in lieu of a layoff. The labor department is saying I quit my job with no good reason,but I was the second last person to come into the department and most likely would have been laid off anyway.Do I have grounds to challenge the ruling and should I request a hearing before the labor board?

rossatf

my reply

Hello,yes I am getting my monthly pension. I applied for benefits around mid November and was ruled not eligible just this week. Thanks

rossatf

my reply

My pension amount is deducted from the amount of the unemployment . As long as I intend to return to work and did not quit my job, as they say I did,I believe I should be eligible

seniorjudge

My pension amount is deducted from the amount of the unemployment . As long as I intend to return to work and did not quit my job, as they say I did,I believe I should be eligible
How can you intend to return to work if you are retired and getting benefits?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
But, you DID quit your job. That's what "retirement" is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">