• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Will she qualify for unemployment insurance?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rackt3

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Minnesota

Hello,

My wife is in a situation right now where she would like to quit but would likely be fired. The background of the story is that, she was hired as a bank manager, but what drew her to the position was the idea that she was going to mostly be charged with growing her branch, drumming up business/customers, activities in the community..etc (things she enjoyed). Her assistant manager would be in charge of the operations aspect. For about a year, everything was great. She loved her job, was enthusiastic, and got nothing but praise from upper management.

Then the economy took a downturn. They got rid of the assistant manager position, stopped all her marketing/community involvement activities, and changed her job to 100% operations and working 10-12 hour days (yes, I know it's in the company's right). She tried to adjust, and brought forth her ideas but all would be shot down. Gradually, she no longer enjoyed her work since she could no longer do the things she loved and it prompted her boss to ask her to figure out whether or not the job is the right fit for her on two occassions.

She just met with her boss and HR and was given a 3-day ultimatum to change. (start loving your job in 3 days?) Anyway, she has started to look for a new job but who knows how long that will take.

My question is, is there any way, given that the new position is no longer the right fit, for her to be able to end the employment amicably and thus be able to receive unemployment? if not, if she were to be fired, it would be because the job changed, and she's no longer the right fit (there's no gross misconduct on her record). Under these circumstances, would she be eligible?

Thanks much!

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
We don't determine eligibility. It sounds like she would probably qualify if she were let go...

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
If she quits for the reason stated no, she will not qualify. The state is not going to pay her to quit a job (especially in this economy) because it is no longer a perfect fit. If the employer fires her for that reason that's a different story and she most likely will.

rackt3

Thanks for the reply... I wasn't going to think answers here would be legally binding or anything. Just seeking expert/experienced opinions.

So essentially, there's no way for her to talk to her boss about possibly "firing" her for those reasons? She's just afraid of the experience of being pulled into a meeting to be fired. She's never been fired or laid off before.

Last edited:

pattytx

If she talks to her boss, requesting they "fire" her, she can basically rule out unemployment.

Being fired, laid off, whatever you end up calling an involuntary termination, is not the end of the world when it comes to UI, at least.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">