• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wrongful Termination?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

CGHurley

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Tennessee

Hello. I was recruited away form a good job in October of 2008. I was told several things that simply were not true. During a meeting with the owner and his wife of the new company, my wife and I specifically asked about finances and management structure. I was to become the General Manager. The answer we recieved was that I was being recruited due to my abilities and reputation. Both are above average. I was also told that the finances were fine. The business was stable, but was having a bad year. I gave notice and quit my job. Upon arriving at my new job, I discovered that the owner was a micromanager and a tyrant. His wife of less than one year was not qualified to be a secretary and was attempting to run the company. The finances were less than desireable. The company was running at a net loss and a negative cash flow. I developed a plan for recovery and it was implemented. I also redesigned the company structure, forms, proscesses and procedures. I was, however, never allowed to do my job. The owner was not going to let go of any control. The new wife was determined to run the company around me. Suspicion and distrust grew within the employees as she would frequently go into an office with them and close the door to talk about me. At week 11, they quit communicating with me at all. I tried to open dialogue, but they would not talk. At the end of week 13, they fired me. The only reason given was that the company was losing money and I was the highest paid employee. I was also told that I was not able to get along with the other employees. I know this behavior is unethical, but is it legal?

cyjeff

yes.

in an at-will employment situation, any employee may be terminated at any time with or without notice and with or without reason as long as that termination is not in direct violation of law.

Since you weren't terminated because of your inclusion in a protected class of employees (race, gender, national origin, etc) or in direct violation of public policy or private collective bargaining agreement, it was legal.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">