• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Non-Compete question, preventing work outside the employeer after termination

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Svtcobr

I am in Michigan and am an electrician. I Recently had to sign a non-compete form for my employeer to move into the office. However after i signed it he put me back in the field were no one needs to sign one. He gave me an office position just to get me to sign it. Is this legal?

Also in the non-compete it states for a time of 18 months i can not "Engage in any business or provide any managerial, sales or other employment or contract services to a business or activity that is in competition with the business of the Company"(Employeer in work for).

I am told by my liability agent that a company can not stop you from going out and getting work for yourself, and by stating i can not compete against them for a new customer they never had that this is against the law. I understand i cant go after their customers for 18 months, but it sounds like if they go out and find a job to bid on that they did not previously have relations with that if i were to bid against the same job it would be against the non-compete. Isnt this preventing me from getting work and against the law?

If so doesn't the law state that if you put a clause in a contract that is against the law then the contract itself is void? I heard this from a lawyer here in Michigan.

And yes, if it sounds like i am trying to get out of this i am. I should never of had to sign this, it was a trick.

Any help will be very grateful.
Thank you

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">