• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired while on maternity leave

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ncbrook28040

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

I have been working for a state health department almost 2 years part-time. I went on maternity leave on Nov 6 2008 and planned to return in 12 weeks (feb 2009). I called to find out what day would be best for my return at 10 weeks but was told instead that they have no more funds for my job. One month before I went on leave they hired a part-time less payed and much less qualified employee to work on my days off and my maternity leave, in Dec 2008 she was given 30 hours and full benefits. She now has my job, but they could not afford my position?? I worked 16-18 hours a week and had No benefits??? I wanted to know if this is pregnancy discrimination? I honestly feel as though had I not been pregnant and had to give birth I would still have my job. Is there anything legally I can do in this situation??? This state health department has over 100 total employee's and I worked for a small branch of this department with 7 employee's I was the only one "let go" and the only one that was pregnant???

ecmst12

How many hours had you worked in the past year and were there at least 50 employees within 75 miles of your location?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">