• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can they do that?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Hard Worker

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

Hey all,
Any insight is appreciated. I doubt there is anything to this, it just bugs me.
I live in Humboldt County, Northern CA. I'd been working as a bartender/waiter at a hotel for a little over three years through five different managements.
When the latest owner, a corporation in the Bay Area bought the place the new GM told me they wanted me to manage the bar but they had to lay me off for a couple weeks while they got the liquor license transferred. Four months later they reopened the bar and hired me back at $10 an hour. I worked for five months and then the GM pulled me aside when I came in and said the corporate bosses had decided to "eliminate the bartending position". They fired most of the restaurant staff as well and made the bar into the dining room. They gave my job to the waitress that made minimum wage ($8). They just wanted to save 10 bucks a day.
I wrote a letter that night that explained who I was and how that was a bad decision since I knew everyone by name and drink. I finished by saying I couldn't see how they "knew anything about hospitality when they treated their employees like crap". That was the worst of it.
Recently I ran into the GM at the grocer that told me they wouldn't hire me back because of that letter.
The position wasn't eliminated, the bar is still open. There is no union, I know they couldn't have done that. I had no contract. I never complained about things like never getting a break, basically a model employee, really no reason to fire me other than saving that ten bucks which they have lost more due to my regulars not going there anymore.
Any ways, is that the state of affairs today, just fired like that?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Hard Worker

Yeah

I burned that bridge.
At the time I thought/felt I would never want to go back.
Then, I thought it's just business, I still like the customers.
I couldn't help myself but I thought they would see the better business decision, They don't care but I still don't have a job. They'll lose more money but the individual is what we are debating these days, no? Ok, thanks for the responses.

I couldn't help myself
You would not believe how many employees I've had the misfortune of terminating that gave just that excuse.

If you pull anything out of this ordeal, hopefully it's learning how to "help yourself." It always works out better in the long run if you do.

Hard Worker

Probably not

If you pull anything out of this ordeal, hopefully it's learning how to "help yourself."
LOL, I doubt it.
They didn't have to hire me at a wage higher than they wanted to pay and they certainly could have offered me less, I would have taken it. I was just curious if that was legal, it is, I get it. That's crappy as well and I would write a letter saying so if I knew who to write to.

>Charlotte<

Lurker
Speaking up front is always better than writing a letter. That way, you can still market your marketable skills besides showing your boss that you have the gut.

I've been retrenched as well and lost my health insurance along with my job. Now, I have to work my ass to pay for the premium. I hope things get well on your case soon.
Please don't advertise your health care site on this forum.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">