• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

reduction of responsibilities & retaliation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

myownway

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NC

About 2 years ago I was managing a small group when we started having a problem with an internal client making inappropriate comments to one of the women. I mentioned it to my Director and the VP then told HR, claiming I had filed a complaint. No wrongdoing was found and shortly afterwards I had to transition sideways (same job grade, pay etc.) to an individual contributor role and someone else took over managing the team.

It took less than 6 months before my replacement 'left' the company. Since then I had been formally managing projects and informally managing and mentoring these same people as well as others within the team. During the past year I was told that I was going to formally manage someone again and lead a new initiative in the company.

When the re-org was announced not only was I not managing anyone or leading this initiative, but I had actually lost my project and people managing/mentoring responsibilities. The Director blamed the VP. When I asked the VP he claimed to have no knowledge of any this and began engaging in some pretty impressive CYA...

I've made some calls to headhunters I've worked with in the past. They are telling me that, based on this re-org, it is highly unlikely that I will ever be hired again (i.e., I was demoted). Is it possible that, despite the passing of 2 years, that I was demoted in retaliation for the sexual harassment investigation conducted by HR? Or was I unwittingly demoted 2 years ago and the VP thought I was somehow good with that and is now surprised about what was really going on in his organization?

What are my legal options?

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I think the likelihood that they would wait two years to retaliate against you for making a sexual harassment complaint is unlikely to say the least.

myownway

True, but this is the first time the VP would have had the opportunity to do so. Until this re-org, everything was within the Director's authority.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I assure you, a VP has more authority than a director in the overall heirarchy of any given company.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">