• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Violation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

AAC

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

I got a ticket for parking in a handicap space, because my dad, who was issued the permit, was not in the car, at the time. I didn't know he had to be and thought the permit was issued for the car in general. Should I contest it, because I was unaware since my dad told me the permit was for the car (he's 85 and wasn't clear on the law himself, I guess)? Is there a chance it could be reduced if I do? The officer also put the wrong date on the ticket, and I wondered if that mattered either?

Handicap parking and decals are for the use of the hadicapped. It is legal for a person not hadicapped to park in the designated HC parking if dropping off or picking up the handicapped.
Is it possible that the officer did not see the dropping off or picking up of a handicapped person?

Of course if you just parked in a HC spot because you had a sticker but didn't have any intent of pick up or drop off a handicapped person, then that is a big No No $$$$$$$$ and you can now join the slime club.

cyjeff

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York State

I got a ticket for parking in a handicap space, because my dad, who was issued the permit, was not in the car, at the time. I didn't know he had to be and thought the permit was issued for the car in general. Should I contest it, because I was unaware since my dad told me the permit was for the car (he's 85 and wasn't clear on the law himself, I guess)? Is there a chance it could be reduced if I do? The officer also put the wrong date on the ticket, and I wondered if that mattered either?
I am going to ask you just one question.

Did you really think you had the right to use a handicapped sticker to park just because you knew a handicapped person?

flarityj

Real advice --not abuse

It appears than more senior members of this forum offered mostly insults. It kind of makes me wonder if a moderator is needed? Maybe some people post here that would be better off playing video games?

Anyway. A wrong date seems significant. I have read that wrong color of car/make is not, but you were probably somewhere else on the wrong day or the cop was not even working?

This is not a morals forum. Can you beat the ticket? You really don't loose anything by fighting it and you have a good case with a valid sticker and the wrong date. The ticket log at the office probably proves the date was wrong and you could extend that large error to argue the officer had other facts wrong too. Sit in the court for a good while and watch the other cases to see what works. Good lawyers are mostly masters of human nature. You need to cultivate some subterranean outrage at the incompetance of the officer. If you can't do it--hire a lawyer and watch the show--much better than TV.

I hear those handicapped tickets are very expensive.

FlyingRon

I'm not sure why you came here to necropost (what we call responding to long dormant threads, bad form here, the original poster is most certainly LONG GONE) or to bash those who help with CORRECT information.

You're knowledge of the law is highly defective. The date on a citation is generally INSIGNIFICANT. Base responses on reliable facts not what you believe or "hear." Clerical errors in the paperwork will not impune the officer to make the clear violation invalid. The ticket itself has NO significance in a legal action. Further, parking tickets are often civil violations that have a completely different idea of due process from a criminal proceeding.

Don't see any morality discussion in this thread, it's pretty tame compared to many on this forum.

patstew

This is not a morals forum. Can you beat the ticket? You really don't loose anything by fighting it and you have a good case with a valid sticker and the wrong date.
You "loose" (sic) karma. Don't sell your integrity for the price of a parking ticket.

[/QUOTE]I hear those handicapped tickets are very expensive.[/QUOTE]

For good reason.

Here endeth the necroposting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">