• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lack of Parking Signs?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

greenglass

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

In Philadelphia I street parked with signs that read "tow zone, no stopping any time (with arrow indicating spaces to a garage entrance in front of the space i was in) and 3hour parking 8am-10pm mon-sun (the space I was in). I returned within 2 hours to find my car gone. It was towed, as I was parked there during rush hour (for when parking is apparantly prohibited). I returned to photogaph the scene and there was nothing posted on the entire block (even checking the tiny indications at the bottoms of all the signs). I honestly had never heard of this rush hour rule and have lived in the city for many years. Can I plead mistake of fact, for the lack of warning as the conduct expected of me? Thanks.

patstew

I returned within 2 hours to find my car gone. It was towed, as I was parked there during rush hour (for when parking is apparantly prohibited). I returned to photogaph the scene and there was nothing posted on the entire block (even checking the tiny indications at the bottoms of all the signs). I honestly had never heard of this rush hour rule and have lived in the city for many years. Can I plead mistake of fact, for the lack of warning as the conduct expected of me? Thanks.
Doubt it. Residents are responsible to know local ordinances. Plus, God knows, this rush-hour restriction has even been widely publicized on the "Parking Wars" TV show! :rolleyes:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">