• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Minor in Consumption while driving

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

snubf1ghter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Arizona

I was driving home from a party with my girlfriend where I had not been drinking but she had (however, I had been drinking earlier in the night, I thought all the alcohol had left my system at that point). I was pulled over due to the officer believing I had swerved on the highway and asked my age as well as my girlfriend's age (we are both 20, I turn 21 in March and she does in August). I admitted to drinking earlier in the night as well as the fact that my girlfriend had drank at the party. We both took breathalyzers, I blew a .025 and she a .03. I passed a field sobriety test easily. I was given a civil traffic ticket for Unsafe Lane Usage and a criminal traffic ticket for Minor in Consumption at .025 and she was given a Minor in Consumption ticket at .03.

My question is, what can we reasonably expect to be charged with? Will diversion programs be an option? Also, what strategy should I use when talking to the judge in an attempt to help reduce the penalty...should I point out the fact that the court date is March 4th and I turn 21 on March 25th? My vehicle tires are out of alignment and cause a drift, should I point out that could have caused the swerve? And lastly, should I make apparent that the officers allowed me to drive home immediately after citing me, obviously showing that I was not a danger to myself or others?

Thank you for your time!

snubf1ghter

4-24409 for mic it looks like... possibly 4-24400

the Unsafe lane usage statue # is very difficult to read, but I don't think that one is as important for you to know.

Last edited:

snubf1ghter

Are there different MIC penalties depending on different statutes charged under or do they all fall under the same statute?

the MIC looks a like 4-24409

the Unsafe Lane usage looks like 28-7201

They are verrrry hard to read unfortunately.

snubf1ghter

It definitely says 4-244. The next two numbers are very difficult to make out but they are definitely not 33 which I believe is the citation for driving.

However, it is clearly marked as a criminal traffic ticket.

I'm confused as to what I'm being charged for.

The Occultist

AZ first time offense of MIC should result in a deferred prosecution. You'll pay some fees (likely a couple hundred), probably have to attend an alcohol class, and you'll be on light probation for a little while, during which you'll need to stay out of trouble.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">