• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expunged misdemeanor means no hire?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lowclasswastiod

I live in Oklahoma. I was unfairly charged with petit larceny (my friend was shoplifting. she was 16, I was 18.) nigh on one year ago. I was found guilty and was sentenced to some seriously lame fines, six months probation, and some community service hours feeding alcoholics that hit on me all the time. The probation was the terms I chose as I was told I could get the conviction expunged.

Today I went in for a job interview. I was hired by one employee and went to another room to complete a plethora of heinous paperwork with another. The paper got shuffled to another drone who checked my paperwork, saw the expunged misdemeanor penned in and promptly terminated me.

I'm just trying to find out if this is legal. A real headache since the online job app asks if I had a misdemeanor and I answered yes and was pencilled in for an interview.

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaankz

ecmst12

Perfectly legal. Convictions aren't expunged automatically. You have to file papers to get them expunged.

lowclasswastiod

cool yeah. I know. I filed it. I did everything to get the conviction off of my record that I could do. The probation/community service option was risky because I was 18, still in high school, and still living at home even. My dad would have annihilated me if he found out I had been arrested. There's no way I would want that on my record for many reasons, but the biggest reason was and continues to be my father. Not a job.

He'd own the crap outta me.

Come on. I just wanna know if it was legal for the employer to not continue to hire me after I divulged that I had an officially ****in expunged misdemeanor for some dumb **** I didnt do.

ecmst12

Yes, it's legal. And according to the courts, you DID do it because you were convicted! If you didn't do it, you should have hired a lawyer and gotten the charges dropped.

VeronicaLodge

I live in Oklahoma. I was unfairly charged with petit larceny (my friend was shoplifting. she was 16, I was 18.) nigh on one year ago. I was found guilty and was sentenced to some seriously lame fines, six months probation, and some community service hours feeding alcoholics that hit on me all the time. The probation was the terms I chose as I was told I could get the conviction expunged.

Today I went in for a job interview. I was hired by one employee and went to another room to complete a plethora of heinous paperwork with another. The paper got shuffled to another drone who checked my paperwork, saw the expunged misdemeanor penned in and promptly terminated me.

I'm just trying to find out if this is legal. A real headache since the online job app asks if I had a misdemeanor and I answered yes and was pencilled in for an interview.

thaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaankz

your attitude sucks, I wouldn't hire you even without the misdemeanor.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">