• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Unemployement for the self employed

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

trafficdirector

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon

I am self employed. I do contract labor remotely for several radio stations. Recently I was laid off from one site (in wyoming), but still retain the other (in colorado). I tried to get unemployement but was told it was an 'invalid claim'.
What do I need to do to be able to get unemployment if, due to the economy, I was to loose the other gig too?
I live in oregon but work remotely for companies in other states. (Wyoming was the one that was lost, Still have stations in colorado).

justalayman

I am self employed. I do contract labor remotely for several radio stations. Recently I was laid off from one site (in wyoming), but still retain the other (in colorado). I tried to get unemployement but was told it was an 'invalid claim'.
What do I need to do to be able to get unemployment if, due to the economy, I was to loose the other gig too?
I live in oregon but work remotely for companies in other states. (Wyoming was the one that was lost, Still have stations in colorado).
You are mistaken. You work for yourself, not the other companies. Your company (just you apparently) does work for those companies. I do not believe you can simply pay in to the UI benefits fund simply being an independent contractor. I believe it has to be a formal and registered company with a fed tax number and all. Call the state UI office and inquire as to who can pay in to the fund for its' employees.

trafficdirector

looks like I do get UI

I spoke with a UI auditor yesterday and he said I should qualify as long as I was let go thru no fault of my own.

Last edited:

HomeGuru

**A: you do not qualify for UE benefits because you are not an employee.
You would need to start a company ie. LLC, Corp etc. and have the company be your employer and pay all taxes for you as an employee.

pattytx

**A: you do not qualify for UE benefits because you are not an employee.
You would need to start a company ie. LLC, Corp etc. and have the company be your employer and pay all taxes for you as an employee.
Absolutely. Your financial eligibility is based on the wages reported to your SSN by your employer (get that, employer), on which your employer must pay taxes. If you open a claim in February 2009, the states would be looking at reportable wages for October 2007 through September 2008.

If you are an independent contractor, you do NOT have an employer. You have customers.

Bet you didn't tell that auditor you were an IC with no wages reported to the state unemployment agency and no taxes paid on those wages.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">