• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired company fighting unemployeement

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jeepy5Point2

I worked at Circuit City for 5 years in New Jersey...

Here is a what happened excatly as it went down (unlike what the company heard from the other person)

I was a supervisor for the mobile department, I had a girl working for me who very much got away with anything she wanted... comming in late, leaving early, no call no shows, management wouldnt touch her. she knew very well how to play the system and it was very widly know that she did.

anyway for about 2 hours this pictular morning she was chit chatting about her personal issues with another employee, a male, who i didnt know, this was around christmas time so i figured it was just another seasonal. anyway after being dragged away from my job responsibilities to do her job twice i kinda had enough and when up to them and said, (with out yelling it was just to the 2 of them)

"Hey look, Im not trying to be a prick or anything, but you need to leave her alone so she can do her job and you go do what ever job it is that your susposed to be doing, I have been watching you guys for about 2 hours now and I have had to help 2 different people and stop doing my own job because you guys are just back here talking"

at this point the guy said i was telling her about work stuff (which was a lie because i heard them talking about all her "problems") and then finally intriduced himself as a represenitve for the company.

after this i spoke to my manangers and told them about it, but for the rest of the day they didnt chit chat anymore, in my eyes proving they knew they were in the wrong.

anyway come to find out one of the two of them (i believe the guy, but i know she back up the story) said i was yelling and useing all kinds of derogotry language... I know i said prick, shame on me but really fired?!?!?!?

so now they are fighting unemployement but i just found out i am still eligable for rehire!! my question is,

1) i just got a paper saying would i like to appeal this, and i dont know if i should bother because at this point it is a he says she says, and the two of them lied once so why wouldnt they lie again if questioned...

2) I found out through a few of the other managers than a couple of weeks piror to this happening the store director told them they were head hunting for myself and 2 of my associates and when told/questioned about it telling him we are vested in the company for being there so long he replied with, Ill do what ever i can and use HR as my weapon... He is now no longer with the store maybe company not sure... but was a deciding voice when it came to my termination. would that have any bearing on myside if validated by another associate?

thank you so much for reading and any responces...

Bret

justalayman

He is now no longer with the store maybe company not sure... but was a deciding voice when it came to my termination. would that have any bearing on myside if validated by another associate?
This is Circuit City we are talking about, right? The company that announced a few weeks back they are going out of business and closing all stores, right?

Doesn;t seem like much of a chance for a re-hire.

all you can really do is appeal and hope for the best.

Jeepy5Point2

correct... i know i am eligable because the current management that is left knows im out of work, they called me to see if i wanted a job until i found something or they closed the doors... told me the only way is to go through Uni-crew (their hireing process that will red flag you for many things including not answering the 130 questions in a way they see fit)

they called me and said it went through just fine and told me the only one that is complaining about me going back in the store director (the one that fired me 5 min after his starting day not the one that made the decision) his last day is sunday and they other managers told me once he doesnt have a voice anymore they will bring me back in, they know im a good honest worker and do my job the best that can be done, typically more than is called for. so even if it is just selling stuff off the liquidators bought it will be honest work.

anyway i hate to go back but i cant find a job anywhere, i honestly dont want to be on unemployment because i know there are people that need it more and there are looser that abuse it, i am not either but rent is eating away at my savings and i need a job or some help...

if i send the letter in for the appeal, how does that work, are they just going to ask the same people the same questions and come up with the same responce... if so it seems a little useless...

justalayman

I can't tell you how Jersey works theirs specifically but most states I am familiar with actually have an interview process for both parties when a decision is appealed. It gives you and the company rep an opportunity to actually present their respective reasons for whatever they claim. If the guy is gone, it obviously won't be involving him.

ecmst12

If you turn down offered work, no matter how undesireable it may seem, your appeal won't matter because you DEFINITELY won't be eligible for benefits then.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">