• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Business Security Policy?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Fammer570

Hello everyone. Im brand new to the fourm and have no idea if this is in the right place. excuse me if it is not.

I am a paid and voluenteer EMT for New Jersey. At my paid job(hired as an EMT), an ice skating rink, the bosses want me to start to do security on nights we have another EMT on. On fridays, when i would be doing sceurity, there is usually a large public skate session where young teens come to skate. Just about every week there is a minor fight or something like that. There is usually a local PO there, but they do as little as possible when it comes to security.

I am wondering...
what powers do i have as a not-so-security guard? Can i question kids in regards to why they were doing something suspicious? How bout search them (for my safety, of course)? Have the power to tall them to leave? Call their parents?

Heres a situation i had last week...
I was on my break to the side of the rink outside, where most people dont (and shouldnt) go, when 2 kids came out from the side of the building (obviously hiding from me, doing something suspicious) I questioned them and let them on their way. In this situation, i suspected drug use (due to their signs of use and location). Could i have searched them and/or the area they were in?

The reason for me asking is I have been learning about the 4th amendment in class and i do not what to violate it. What can i do?

Thanks in advance!

MikeWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

tranquility

You have only the same powers as any citizen.

The only additional power you may have is if the rink has items it sells. They you would have the ability to reasonably detain someone you reasonably believed stole an item while you did a reasonable investigation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">