• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Witnessing a simple will

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

maikisch2988

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

In the state of Washington, does the two witnessese to a simple will have to sign in the presence of a notary public. Does the will have to be notarized at all?

TrustUser

i dont know for sure about washington. i dont think it is "necessary" in california, if we are talking about it being legal.

as far as i am concerned, it is necessary. that signature carries a lot more weight when it is notarized. claims that the signature is fraudulent, etc. pretty much go by the wayside.

claims that the willmaker was not of sound mind, etc. become much more challenging. it is one thing to claim that witnesses lied about such and such. but to make that same claim about a non-interested party (the notary), who has his/her job on the line - not very easy to prove.

of course, i would do a trust, instead of a will. with either document, get it notarized. no sense allowing a possible can of worms to be opened up, when there is a very simple solution.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">