• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

help ... shoplifting crisis

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

rh222

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california

HI, my name is rachelle and today i got caught shoplifting. I'm 18 years old and it only my first time being arrested and they gave me a misdemeanor charge. I tried to steal less than 30.00 worth of merchandise. My court date is in the end of march and i really don't know how to start with getting everything together. Also, the police officer said to me that i could petition the citation so that it could be taken off my record, but i don't know how to do that either. I have no job so i can't get a lawyer so i have to let them provide one for me. That really scares me because i know that wether they get win the case they still get paid. what should i do and how should i handle this because i'm really panicking.

CdwJava

You can't get this removed from your record until you are convicted, and even then, that is a long time down the road.

At your arraignment, if you are charged with the misdemeanor or higher, you should be given the option of court-appointed counsel if you cannot afford an attorney. If you CAn afford an attorney, then you might want one on board before court.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">