• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

pressing grand theft charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jess32448

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Florida

My laptop was stolen Saturday by my ex-boyfriend. I have filed a police report, but i am unfamiliar with the legalities behind it all. what happens from here? What can i do. He has admitted it to me but i was unable to record it. He justifies it by saying "you were right there", like that really should make me feel better. IDIOT! The officer called him and of course, he denied it. If i robbed a bank and got away, do you think upon questioning i would admit it? even if someone seen me? am i basically screwed or what

CdwJava

The state has a higher burden of proof at a criminal trial. While they may not be able to prove he stole it, you can always take him to civil court (small claims) and sue him for the computer. If you are more believable than he is, the court might side with you. The state needs to meet a higher burden of proof than you would at civil court.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">