• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Lack of No Parking Sign

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jgwalter

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? NJ

I received a parking ticket in a residential section of Highland Park on a Sunday for parking within 50' of a stop sign.

I am from Maryland, and was making an after-funeral family visit for about an hour. Being from the Washington, DC area where parking enforcement is the most efficient part of the local government, I specifically checked for no parking signs and found none. I parked in front of another car. Behind it were several driveways, and parking on the opposite side of the street, which also seemed OK, would have narrowed the street to one lane.

This seemed like a perfectly safe place to park, which was about 50 feet from the corner, and about 15 feet from the stop sign.

Obviously, I am not going to drive to NJ to fight a $53 ticket, but do I have any kind of defense in a 'plea by mail', which they were kind enough to send me.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You say you were cited for parking within 50 feet of a stop sign.
You also say you were actually parked about 15 feet from said stop sign.

It appears that this offense doesn't require a "no-parking" sign to be present.

What are you thinking your defense would be?

jgwalter

You say you were cited for parking within 50 feet of a stop sign.
You also say you were actually parked about 15 feet from said stop sign.

It appears that this offense doesn't require a "no-parking" sign to be present.

What are you thinking your defense would be?
I am not a resident of the neighborhood, town, or state. How would I be expected to know where it is legal or illegal to park? Or, that parking within 50 feet of a stop sign was actually an offense? There were other cars parked nearby, it was a Sunday afternoon, and nothing out of the ordinary, such as a party, was occurring in the area.

Silverplum

I am not a resident of the neighborhood, town, or state. How would I be expected to know where it is legal or illegal to park? Or, that parking within 50 feet of a stop sign was actually an offense? There were other cars parked nearby, it was a Sunday afternoon, and nothing out of the ordinary, such as a party, was occurring in the area.
I think that might fall under the concept of "ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking the law."

jgwalter

I think that might fall under the concept of "ignorance of the law is not an excuse for breaking the law."
Yes, I know.....that is sort of the 'catch all' for dealing with excuses.

Next time I travel across three states, I will be sure to memorize all of the various traffic and parking laws for every little town that I go through.

That way, there wouldn't be the need to have any signs.

Last edited:

Silverplum

Yes, I know.....that is sort of the 'catch all' for dealing with excuses.

Next time I travel across three states, I will be sure to memorize all of the various traffic and parking laws for every little town that I go through.

That way, there wouldn't be any point to having any signs.
Sure. If you'd like.

patstew

Other Traffic/Parking Offense (Describe): 50' Stpsign
Ordinance/Code No.: 7310 <a bit hard to read
Is there a phone number on the ticket? Did you call it?

I'm always saying GO TO THE SOURCE. Talk with the issuing officer, if you haven't already, and explain the situation. If the vehicle that received the ticket is registered in another state, the officer may take pity on you.

jgwalter

Is there a phone number on the ticket? Did you call it?

I'm always saying GO TO THE SOURCE. Talk with the issuing officer, if you haven't already, and explain the situation. If the vehicle that received the ticket is registered in another state, the officer may take pity on you.
There is a phone number, which is the clerk of the Municipal Court. I called it, and got them to send me a 'Plea by Mail' form. I'm not going to drive three hours for a 9 am court appearance, spend all day, along with $30 in tolls, $40 in gas to hopefully beat a $53 parking ticket.

Interestingly, nowhere on the ticket is the fine listed. You must either go online or call to find out how much to pay.

I suppose I could make an attempt to contact the actual officer, but I know what kind of effort that can be. And, I don't know what good it would do, as the ticket has already been written. I suppose I could hope that he/she might remember our telephone conversation when the court date arrives, since I won't be there.

jgwalter

You do understand that you're not allowed to park 15' from a stop-sign in Maryland, right?
No, I don't understand that. Where is that information, other than a 'No Parking Here to Corner" sign. Besides, it was 50 feet not 15. 50 feet is a lot from a stop sign that is already 15 feet from the corner.

I spent far more than 7 seconds on Google looking for general parking laws in New Jersey, as well as the specific Borough of Highland Park ordinance that was cited, without any luck at all.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
You said that you weren't from NJ. I was pointing out that what you did is ALSO against the law in your home state.

No, I don't understand that. Where is that information, other than a 'No Parking Here to Corner" sign. Besides, it was 50 feet not 15. 50 feet is a lot from a stop sign that is already 15 feet from the corner.

I spent far more than 7 seconds on Google looking for general parking laws in New Jersey, as well as the specific Borough of Highland Park ordinance that was cited, without any luck at all.

patstew

I suppose I could make an attempt to contact the actual officer, but I know what kind of effort that can be. And, I don't know what good it would do, as the ticket has already been written. I suppose I could hope that he/she might remember our telephone conversation when the court date arrives, since I won't be there.
Oh, suck it up and call them. What can it hurt? A little bit of effort can save you that fine. The worst that can happen is you'll be in the very same place you are now.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">