• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mullrm21

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Indiana
My employer is based in Illinois and I live and work in the state of Indiana. The company is going through a restructuring where the middle management positions, District Managers, (a position in which I currently hold) are being consolidated and given a new title, Territory Manager. There are currently 4 DMs and only one new TM position. Another position has been created that would report to the new TM, a Team Leader, that is a substantially lesser paying job than where I am now. With that said, I am being told that if I interview for the TM position and do not get it, I will be offered the lesser paying Team Leader position. If I do not take that position, I am being told that I am declining an offer and therefore resigning and will not be eligible for unemployment benefits. The other piece to this is that I will be moving out of state due to my wife taking a new job in NC. My company does not do any business in NC, so I cannot transfer. They are also aware of the move and have worked with me to this point while I seek employment in NC. It looks as if I am in a lose lose situation. I guess my question is can they legally do to me what they are doing?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Unless you have a bona fide, legally binding contract that specifically says otherwise, yes, they can.

It is the right of the employer to put their employees in the job or location that benefits them most.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">