• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Mom with dementia going into nursing home

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

roofus10

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? OK

My mother has been diagnosed with dementia this week. Combining this with her physical problems, the doctor has recommended nursing home care, which we agree with. My mother's only source of income is Social Security. I purchased her (run down) house two years ago so that she wouldn't have to make the payments. At that time, I also started paying all her gas and electric bills. Since she is now going into a state-run nursing home, will the state have any claim against the house that was sold to me? I have all the documents for when and how much I paid on the house, plus receipts for some much needed upkeep that I paid for in the intervening time.

anteater

Assuming that you purchased it for something approximating fair market value, there probably won't be a problem.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">