• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Insurance Cancelled Before Being Fired.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ShaneO

OHIO

I was fired on 1/16/09 at 4:30PM but had a dental appt. on 1/16/09 at 1:00PM that I went to. Now my insurance company says my insurance was cancelled on 1/16/09 at 12:00AM and they won't pay for that appointment. How can my insurance be cancelled before I was actually fired?:eek:

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It is by no means uncommon for insurance to end on the last day worked. There are no laws, except in Texas, mandating when the insurance can end and no law that says it can't be until after you have been told of the termination. It is regulated entirely by the rules of the specific policy involved.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
It is by no means uncommon for insurance to end on the last day worked. There are no laws, except in Texas, mandating when the insurance can end and no law that says it can't be until after you have been told of the termination. It is regulated entirely by the rules of the specific policy involved.
Our OP is saying that his insurance was canceled at 12:01 am on the 16th, yet he wasn't fired until, 4:30 pm on the 16th. He feels that his insurance shouldn't have been canceled until 12:01 am on the 17th (at the earliest). I would tend to agree.

OP - one question: Did you actually WORK on the 16th?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I understand what he is saying, and I do not disagree with him. However, the law does not say that he MUST retain his coverage for that last day. If the specific policy under which he is covered, which I have not read, says that coverage can be cancelled effective the ACTUAL date of termination, then it can. If it says that coverage cannot be cancelled until the day following the day employment terminated, then it can't.

This is not a matter of law. This is a matter of the individual policy eligibility rules.

ShaneO

I was suspended with pay for that week, then recieved a call at the end of the week 1/16/09 at 4:30PM telling me they made a decision and they were unable to use me anymore. So technically I was working. For example...imagine you took a friday off for a dental appt. at 1:00PM and then recieved a call after the appt. that you were fired.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I was suspended with pay for that week, then recieved a call at the end of the week 1/16/09 at 4:30PM telling me they made a decision and they were unable to use me anymore. So technically I was working. For example...imagine you took a friday off for a dental appt. at 1:00PM and then recieved a call after the appt. that you were fired.
No, technically you were not working.

CBG is absolutely correct on this one though. You will have to check the actual policy.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Okay, one more time.

THERE IS NO LAW THAT SAYS YOU CANNOT HAVE YOUR INSURANCE CANCELLED PRIOR TO BEING TOLD YOU WERE FIRED.

The above statement remains true whether you worked that day or not, and no, if you were suspended, you were not working.

I do not disagree that the employer 'should' have cancelled the coverage effective the 17th instead of the 16th. However, my opinion and two dollars will get you a cup of coffee. This is completely, totally, and 100% a matter of what the insurance policy says. There were no laws violated. Whether the insurance contract was violated, only someone who has read it can say.

ShaneO

It all make sense and I will be reading my policy, and If my last pay stub had insurance taken out...I guess the policy will state what dates I actually paid for. Thanks.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You are assuming that premiums paid for insurance always go forward; i.e. the deduction taken on your 1/16 paystub is for insurance between the 16th and the 23rd. That is not always the case. Sometimes it goes backwards - i.e. the deduction taken on 1/16 is for 1/9 to 1/16. In fact, not only my current employer but my last employer as well went backwards. So that's another thing you'll need to check on. You can't assume that if a health insurance deduction was taken from your last check, that means you paid for coverage you did not receive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">