• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

How to minimize the Retail Theft record?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

watergap

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

I was arrested shoplifting yesterday, but what I got was just some cheap fruits. total less than $20. I was fingure printed in police, and got a "Retail Theft" Summon. I called the officer in the foodstore, but the manager was pretty rude. She said since it is not the first time I am vedio taped as theft, they will do more investigation to see what they will do.

I admit that I did do it before, but still just some cheap fruits. I don't know how they will get the total... I am deeply scared, and I swear I will not do it anymore. I am a top student at school, and I really do not want have a criminal record with me from now on.

Could any expert tell me :
1. What shall I do right now to minimize it? Do I need a lawyer?

2. If I sign as " guilty" does it mean that I will have a criminal record with me forever?

Thanks a lot!

seniorjudge

1. Do I need a lawyer?

A: Yes.

2. If I sign as " guilty" does it mean that I will have a criminal record with me forever?

A: Yes.

FlyingRon

If you get convicted it stays a very long time in Pennsylvania. There's no expungement for convictions unless you are 70 or dead. Pardons are the only avenue, but they are not particularly easy to get and you have to wait at least five years from the end of your sentence/probation before it's even possible.

I'd be talking to a lawyer. There's a first time offender diversion called ARD in Pennsylvania that is your best shot in most cases.

sallylong

At this point you have only been arrested not convicted of a crime. Therefore, there is nothing on your criminal record. Most states do have first time offenders statutes and you may be able to get the charges reduced or even dropped after a probationary period. You should definately get an attorney. If you can't afford one , one will be appointed to you at your arraignment.

watergap

Thanks for your advice, Sallylong. But right now, I just have a Summon, and I have not signed "guilty" yet. I wonder if I signed, does it mean that I will have this record? What will happen next, other than the fine? Could you help to recommend a attorney that is decent and affordable? I have been very sad about it,and I will NEVER do it any more...

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">