• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What is a Court Appointment?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

scorpiondes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Puerto Rico/NY/CA

A little confusing....My mother passed away in Nov 2006 in Saratoga, NY; but her main place of residence was Puerto Rico. Now we have received news of some benefits that she was entitled to (stock). The company that is handling these is requiring a Court Appointment from me and my brother to be able to process this transference of shares, but will not accept the will as documentation. My question is....is this document really necessary and if so, how do I go about getting one and where from...being that my mom died in NY, my brother lives in PR and I live in CA. Please help...What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

Dandy Don

What they are looking for is a certified copy of a document called letters testamentary, which is a document issued to the executor soon after the executor files to open up probate. If no one has opened up probate yet, that is the first place to start. Someone in the family can do it if you do not have the resources to hire a probate attorney and that is normally done in the county of the city where the person had their primary place of residence.

DANDY DON IN OKLAHOMA

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">