• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is your employer notified when you are released on bond?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

sallylong

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Virginia
I was released on a $1,000 unsecured bond and wanted to know if my present employer would be contacted. I really don't want this to happen as I may lose my job. Any response would be greatly appreciated.

sallylong

More details

I wanted to know if the magistrate who approved my bond would contact my employer to verify my employment status. I was arrested for forgery. I signed my sister's name on a visitor application so I could visit my boyfriend in prison. I would not have been allowed in under my own name and was desperate to see him. It was a really stupid thing to do.

FlyingRon

I doubt anything is going to happen on the bond as long as you appear. The bond just makes it, as I've heard the magistrates say, "worth coming after you" if you fail to appear. $1000 is pretty small anyhow.

Your bigger issue is your pending case. You're charged with a FELONY and believe me, you'll either get jail or probation and your employer WILL find out about that. I have a buddy who's a Commonwealth probation/parole officer and he spends half his time doing home/work visits on his charges.

sallylong

I am not overly concerned about the felony charge as I have no prior record and expect this charge to be dropped to a misdemeanor. At least, I hope this is what happens. I am only charged with the one count and think I will only get probation or community service. Of course, I could be wrong.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">