• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

My Grandmother's Estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

derexican

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? California

My grandfather passed last year in March. Shortly afterwards, my grandmother and her daughter made an appointment with the law office that made both my grandfather's and grandmother's wills 20 years ago. The purpose of the visit was to make very important changes to my grandmother's will and the trust which holds the assets of her estate. The will and trust specificed that my grandparents' children (4 total) would equally receive shares of her home and savings account. My grandmother wished to change this completely. She wanted to remove 1 of the children completely and dramatically reduce the shares of 2 others. She also wanted to include me and my cousin as beneficiaries. She wanted only one of her children to receive the bulk of the estate (75%) and the 2 others, myself, and my cousin to share evenly the remaining 25%. She also wished to change the executor of her will from one of her children to the other and stipulate that that same child that would be named executor would hold her power of attorney. She told her lawyer her wishes and intent and he wrote them all down in notes. He charged $600.00 for the visit that was paid. My grandmother was ill following the visit and was never able to return to the lawyer to officiate things by signing papers. She died a few months after the visit to the lawyer and the original will/trust arrangement is being followed. My question is if the notes she made to the lawyer have any effect if we were to contest the will/trust. The lawyer knew of her intentions and wishes and what she planned on doing upon her next visit...shouldn't that be legal as to what she wished to do with her estate rather than following the will/trust she has made 20 years prior? The lawyer was paid $600 for doing practically nothing when he should have had papers drawn up specifying what he had written down from my grandmother's visit with him. Is that at all legally binding?

ShyCat

She died a few months after the visit to the lawyer and the original will/trust arrangement is being followed.
As it should be.

My question is if the notes she made to the lawyer have any effect if we were to contest the will/trust.
Notes are not a legally valid will or trust. Notes do not void and replace the existing will/trust. Notes do not prove Grandma was incompetent when she made the existing will/trust, which would be grounds for contesting. Grounds for contesting a will/trust do not include "we want more".

Kiawah

If this were indeed an important change that she wanted to make, two months is an extremely long amount of time that she could have had it done. She could get to the lawyer, the lawyer to her, they do have mail and overnight service now to mail documents back and forth for review, etc.

No new will properly created and signed, the old one is still legal.

derexican

As it should be.

Notes are not a legally valid will or trust. Notes do not void and replace the existing will/trust. Notes do not prove Grandma was incompetent when she made the existing will/trust, which would be grounds for contesting. Grounds for contesting a will/trust do not include "we want more".
It's not about wanting more and do people a favor if you're going to try to comment on their situation by showing some class.

derexican

If this were indeed an important change that she wanted to make, two months is an extremely long amount of time that she could have had it done. She could get to the lawyer, the lawyer to her, they do have mail and overnight service now to mail documents back and forth for review, etc.

No new will properly created and signed, the old one is still legal.
We didn't make it a priority to drag a sick woman to the lawyer or have her stress by rushing to sign documents in her ill state. It wasn't expected that she would be passing at all and the lawyer knew what she intended on doing so we thought that would count towards proving her wishes, but the law apparently views things differently if the red tape isn't navigated.

curb1

derexican,

You have been given very good advice here. Value it. There are many, many reasons why wills need to be signed, and usually witnessed.

ShyCat

It's not about wanting more and do people a favor if you're going to try to comment on their situation by showing some class.
Touched a nerve, eh? Yeah, we get so many posters here wanting to contest a will so their share would be drastically reduced just as their loved one would have wanted.

Actually, I was classy; I resisted mentioning that Grandma might have been the victim of elder abuse and manipulation to get the will changed. That happens a lot too.

derexican

It is not "red tape."
Completing and submitting numerous forms is red tape. When someone tells their wishes to a legal official, that should count for something. Just because the forms and documents weren't drawn up in time shouldn't invalidate what was explicity said so I definitely define that as red tape, but hey, you have your opinion and I have mine.

Last edited:

derexican

Touched a nerve, eh? Yeah, we get so many posters here wanting to contest a will so their share would be drastically reduced just as their loved one would have wanted.

Actually, I was classy; I resisted mentioning that Grandma might have been the victim of elder abuse and manipulation to get the will changed. That happens a lot too.
Lol, it's so sad when people have nothing better to do but pick fights on an internet legal forum...good luck with that. It's not about money obviously, if it was about money, we would have dragged her back to sign papers within a matter of days after the initial visit to officiate things. It's about the principle that her wishes aren't being followed. Good luck in life whoever you may be because it's blatantly obvious you are pretty much nothing in society if you come off as nothing on an advice forum.

As for the elder abuse comment, just proves my original comment of no class. :)

Unfortunately, it's a signed, sealed, and witnessed will that matters legally. It doesn't matter what the lawyer wrote down or what your grandmother said to him. A will has so many steps for a reason so as to make sure one's wishes are explicitly noted and followed. A person's conversation with someone (even a legal official) has no bearing if it isn't drawn up in writing, signed, and witnessed to make sure it's legit. Sorry for your losses.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">