• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be charged if I die first?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cmcm55629194

I have cancer. I have taken some money from my employer and he has not yet found out. If I die before I am charged, what happens? Do I still get charged? Does my family have to pay restitution? Thanks for your help.

sallylong

If you were to die first, no charges would ever be filed. However, your employer may seek restitution from your estate. If you have any life insurance or other assets, they can try to be reimbursed from these funds. Your family would not face any criminal charges as they did not participate in the crime. I hope this helps and that you are able to beat this terrible disease. No matter how bad circumstances seem at this time, you must try to keep a positive attitude because your mental state does affect your health. Good luck to you.

racer72

If you were to die first, no charges would ever be filed. However, your employer may seek restitution from your estate. If you have any life insurance or other assets, they can try to be reimbursed from these funds. Your family would not face any criminal charges as they did not participate in the crime. I hope this helps and that you are able to beat this terrible disease. No matter how bad circumstances seem at this time, you must try to keep a positive attitude because your mental state does affect your health. Good luck to you.
The above is wrong. Life insurance in for the heirs of the estate, it is not part of the estate and cannot be taken to satisfy debts of the estate, even criminal debts.

FlyingRon

The above is wrong. Life insurance in for the heirs of the estate, it is not part of the estate and cannot be taken to satisfy debts of the estate, even criminal debts.
Not quite true.

Life Insurance is for the BENEFICIARIES. The BENEFICIARIES are not necessary the estate heirs. If the life insurance BENEFICIARY is unnamed or is named to the estate, then it can be used to satisfy debts. If the BENEFICIARY is some other entity, then it can't.

HomeGuru

I have cancer. I have taken some money from my employer and he has not yet found out. If I die before I am charged, what happens? Do I still get charged? Does my family have to pay restitution? Thanks for your help.
**A: your estate gets charged since there is no out for criminal activities.

CdwJava

While I am sorry that the OP is ill, theft is morally reprehensible even if no legal repercussions are likely.

The whole concept of stealing because you will not likely suffer consequences is offensive to me.

- Carl

racer72

Not quite true.

Life Insurance is for the BENEFICIARIES. The BENEFICIARIES are not necessary the estate heirs. If the life insurance BENEFICIARY is unnamed or is named to the estate, then it can be used to satisfy debts. If the BENEFICIARY is some other entity, then it can't.
That's the word I wanted. I was suffering a severe brain fart at the time and could not think of that word. Thanks for the clarification.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">