• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Fired because of pending charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Seldom1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I was hired by this company and worked for them for 3 weeks and that is when they said they had to fire me because of pending charges. I was completely honest with them on the application. They only asked if I was a convicted felon in which I am not.
The charges more than likely will be dropped and/or reduced but as of now there is no set court date.
If they would have ran a background check on me before I was hired and they would have stated that they could not hire me before hand, I may have understood. They waited until three weeks later, while I was still in training before they approached me. Also, to make matters worse for me, the training instructor was also attempted to have me promoted to a tier2 tech support position.
Running background checks after being hired was illegal I thought, please help.
thanks

Beth3

Running background checks after being hired was illegal I thought No, it's not. It's also entirely possible that they didn't run a post-hire background check but found out about your criminal charges by way of the "grapevine."

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Georgia
I was hired by this company and worked for them for 3 weeks and that is when they said they had to fire me because of pending charges. I was completely honest with them on the application. They only asked if I was a convicted felon in which I am not.
The charges more than likely will be dropped and/or reduced but as of now there is no set court date.
If they would have ran a background check on me before I was hired and they would have stated that they could not hire me before hand, I may have understood. They waited until three weeks later, while I was still in training before they approached me. Also, to make matters worse for me, the training instructor was also attempted to have me promoted to a tier2 tech support position.
Running background checks after being hired was illegal I thought, please help.
thanks
**A: it appears your understanding is not correct.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">