• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

who pays the legal effes

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

doofus2861

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Tennessee

My brother committed suicide. He left a will. My dad is listed as the executor. We have hired an attorney to help settle the estate because it is so complicated. He owed a tremendous amount of money & there will little or no money. Who pays the attorney? Does it come out of the estate or does my dad have to pay the legal fees?

anteater

Reasonable attorney fees are a legitimate expense of the estate. I don't know the exact order of payment priority for TN, but, in almost all states, the cost of administering the estate, including executor and attorney compensation, is at the top of the list to be paid - well before the deceased's creditors.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">