• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Validity of Contract-preventing one from joining client

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

anandks42

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oregon
I currently work for company A as an intern. Since hiring is frozen, I am going to join Company A as a contractor from next month through a staffing firm and be on company B's payroll.

Company B has the following rule " Consultant cannot accept employment directly with company B's client(which will be Company A) for 90 days following completion of assignment unless consultant first obtains the written consent of Company B ."

Does that mean that I cannot join company A even if they want to hire me full time after I complete this assignment for 90 days? Is this type of contract valid? Please advise.

Thanks,
Anand

Hot Topic

We've had contractors who receive paychecks from our company but actually are not employees of our company; the contractors are employees of the staffing agency we hired to supply them. If this is the case with you, you would look to the staffing agency for guidance.

anandks42

Thanks for your reply

Hi,

I will get my paychecks from company B if i join them and I have already mentioned above the terms in their contract for which I need clarity.

Say I work from Mar-May on Staffing company B's payroll at Company A. In Aug, COmpany A offers me a full time job. My question is can I accept it or I have to wait for 90 days after quitting company B because of the contract. Please clarify.

ecmst12

The contract is legal and common. Non-competes are illegal in some states in some circumstances, but this one is relatively permissive (90 days is not that long) and very specific (one company only, not the entire field). So if you don't like the terms, don't agree to it or take the job with the staffing firm.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">