• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Expecting to be questioned by police

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

ahnon0moose

TEXAS

To make a long story short in the next day or two I am anticipating on being questioned by the police about a burgarly that recently happened. I know i am going to be asked about one of my friends who the cops have the first name of, now this friend has a warrant out for his arrest for a nonrelated incident, i dont want him to get in trouble and I am 100% positive he had nothing to do with the burgarly, in fact I dont even know his last name only place of residence and phone number. Can I just plead the 5th or just flat out not speak to the cop since I have no knowledge of the actual burgarly? Or what are my rights when being questioned by the cops?

outonbail

You do not have to talk to the police. Answering any of their questions is completely voluntary on your part.
This is not a courtroom, you do not plead the fifth, you either answer their questions or you don't. They can not force an answer from you

With that said, why is it you want to protect someone who has an outstanding arrest warrant for an unrelated incident and is a suspect in this incident?

You need to find a better grade of friends, maybe some who obey the law and have good moral character in general.

Choosing the right friends can help you avoid finding yourself in situations like this.

Plus, if this so called friend is actually guilty of burglary and God knows what else, it's only a matter of time before you either get arrested for being his accomplice, or you become a victim of his ways.

CdwJava

You do not have to talk to the police ... but, if you say anything to them, it had best not be a lie. If you LIE you leave yourself open to any number of possible criminal charges. If you just politely decline to speak to them, that should no be a crime ... though if your name came up as a suspect, and you clam up, you might find yourself in the gray bar hotel.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">