• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Money from Walmart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

thebrandonman

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky.

I stole 600 dollars in 100 increments over a few weeks from Walmart, where I was a cashier. I was called into the 'AD Office', which management conduct their business. I was grilled for more than an hour by our Asset Protection Manager who said they have been investigating me for more than a month due to my drawer being short. I told them I had taken a total of 600 dollars overall and would take one 100 dollar bill at a time. I did this on six occasions...which adds up to 600 bucks. They had me on camera taking the money and had installed 'pin hole' cameras under our cash registers. There was no getting out of it.

To sum it up, I was terminated (and rightfully so) from my job. I wrote out a statement for the store's record saying I took this money, am very remorseful for it, and would pay it back. They didn't have me arrested. The police were never involved. However, I was told I would be sent a summons to appear in court. I was told if I pleaded guilty, I'd more than likely not face jail time and would be asked to compensate Walmart the money I had taken. If I plead not guilty, it would be stupid, because they practically have a written confession from me.

What am I looking at as far as the court proceedings, charges, fines, jail time? Is it a misdemeanor or felony? What should I prepare for?

outonbail

I wrote out a statement for the store's record saying I took this money, am very remorseful for it, and would pay it back.
If I plead not guilty, it would be stupid, because they practically have a written confession from me.
They don't "practically" have a written confession, they "Do" have a written confession. This doesn't mean you shouldn't plead not guilty in court. It is possible that a good attorney can keep the damages to a minimum.

What am I looking at as far as the court proceedings, charges, fines, jail time? Is it a misdemeanor or felony? What should I prepare for?
I haven't researched Kentucky law, but my guess is that you will be facing felony charges. This is why it is imperative that you to hire an attorney. Having a felony on your criminal record will close a lot of doors in your search for future employment and you stand to lose some of your civil rights as well.

This whole mess can cost you anywhere from $2,000.00 to $20,000.00, depending on the law firm you hire to represent you.

Do you have any prior criminal record?

thebrandonman

I'm as clean cut as they get, record wise. No prior convictions.

The Asset Protection Manager told me it would only be a misdemeanor and if I pleaded guilty to what happened, I'd pay court costs and simply have to compensate them the money I had taken. Am I going to jail for this?

outonbail

If you have no prior criminal contact, I doubt you will be doing any time, but it is always a possibility.

Walmart doesn't get to choose whether you are charged with a felony or misdemeanor, that decision will be made by the DA.

Have you received a summons to appear in the mail yet?

thebrandonman

Well, it just happened today, so I didn't receive any summons as of yet. To me, they didn't treat this as serious as it sounds. I never had the cops called on me, I left on my own accord after being terminated. I figure that I may not see any jail time and would merely pay the court fees and receive probation. In my statement, I wrote out that I'm willing to have my checks garnished whenever I find a new job.

I thought Walmart has the option to not press charges on me or to have them dropped at the hearing. I can't afford lawyers. If I plead guilty, what can happen then?

booker_t

If I'm not mistaken, if law enforcement knows about potential criminal activity, they are obligated to investigate and then it is up to the DA to decide if they have a valid case and to pursue criminal charges and litigation. It isn't up to the victim, the affected, or anyone else.

smr36

they lied

when they told u it was a miss. they flat out lied. it is no doubt a felony. larceny over 250. it will go on your record. any job in the future that does a cory report will see it. they have u dead to rights with a written confession. 2,000 to 20,000 is extreme but u will get a fine and depending on law in your state probation. the fact your getting "summons" means your getting charged. they lied to get you to write it all down and to get you to go easy, no fights exc. exc. in my state your able to get a court appointed lawyer cost alot less but they dont work as hard. the only thing to find out is how much your paying and if your doing probation. but it will be on your record for the rest of your life.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">