• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Is this legal?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

tcob68

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Oklahoma My company has had to lay off several employees. Two weeks ago there were three laid off with severance pay. This week I was one of three more laid off, we were told we would not be recieving any severance pay. Couldn't this be considered discrimination since other employees recieved severance but we didn't.What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

eerelations

Sure sounds like discrimination to me!

However, based on the information you've provided, it doesn't sound like illegal discrimination. For it to be illegal discrimination, the decision to pay/not pay severance would have to based on things like race, religion, gender or disability, etc.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">