• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Handcuffs

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Daniel Lee

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? New York City (Brooklyn)

The police recently came to my house because a dispute I had with my wife became physical. (I pushed her and she got upset) They handcuffed me for 30 minutes and claimed that I intimidated the officers at the scene. Although they did not arrest me, I felt like my rights were violated. Is this a legal procedure?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

outonbail

What rights do you believe were violated and why?

From what you have posted, the officers did nothing wrong. They simply detained you until they could find out what was going on.
They handcuffed you for their safety as well as yours. They do not have to wait until you actually assault one of them before they restrain you.

Domestic disputes are the most dangerous calls the police respond to.

You should feel lucky, because if the incident happened the way you describe, only here in California, you would have probably been arrested, taken to jail and booked for assault. Then you would have to post bail to be released. If your wife filed for a protective order (which the police would have encouraged her to do) you wouldn't be permitted to return to your own home, even after posting bail and being released.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">