• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Parking Infractions in Washington

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Cormando

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Washington

Hi guys, this is my first post and I need some advice:

I was issued a parking infraction with the following code:
Pkg violation at payment devices (Section 11.76.015)
See Link...

Seattle downtown street parking uses payment devices (one per block) that will print out a sticker with an expiration time on it, that you place in the window of your car.

When I originally parked, I had put a sticker on my window and left to run some errands. B/c my errands were taking longer than expected, I returned to the payment device and was about to get a new sticker for my car.

It had gotten dark outside and I was having trouble reading the payment meter. I peered over to my car (located about 1/2 a block away) and I saw a meter maid standing there beside my car. I ran over and spent some time trying to explain my situation with her, but she gave me the run around saying that she "started writing the ticket already", and how shes just doing her job, etc, etc, and proceeded to hand me the ticket. The difference in time between my sticker expiration (I kept the sticker) and the issuance of the ticket was less than 4 minutes.

I examined the ticket and the only discrepancies were:
1) no VIN number written,
2) tab expiration not written,
3) A difference between the location of where my car was parked and what was written on the ticket. See the link...
A is the location of that is written on the ticket and B is the actual location of where the car was parked (at the end of the block).

So I've got two questions on trying to fight this ticket:
1) Are the above discrepancies adequate enough to have a ticket dismissed?
2) Given the circumstances, are medical reasons, such as eye issues sufficient? (it was dark and I had trouble reading the payment device, which caused a delay in getting a new sticker on in time, etc...)
3) Is there a time delay or grace period that is supposed to be used when a ticket is written? I suspect that the meter maid was actually sitting and waiting there for my time to expire.
4) What other advice would you give to improve the chances of having the ticket dismissed or reduced?

Thanks for your help!

Last edited:

Cormando

Lets try those links again...

Violation Code shown here:
http://clerk.ci.seattle.wa.us/~scripts/nph-brs.exe?d=CODE&s1=11.76.015.snum.&Sect5=CODE1&Sect6=HITOFF&l=20&p=1&u=/~public/code1.htm&r=1&f=G

Map of the the location differences:
http://maps.google.com/maps?f=d&source=s_d&saddr=520+7th+ave+s,+seattle,+wa&daddr=599+7th+ave+s,+seattle,+wa
A = Whats written on the ticket
B = Where my car actually was

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If it's one per block, I'll bet the "payment device" is pretty darn close to the address listed on the ticket.

Cormando

Thats possible, the payment device that I used was certainly between the A and B locations on the map, but those stickers work city wide. You can purchase them from any payment device you can find one and it will permit you to park anywhere you have see a "pay to park on this block" sign. It saves some time if you got to make multiple stops, you wont have to go to multiple payment devices.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Thats possible, the payment device that I used was certainly between the A and B locations on the map, but those stickers work city wide. You can purchase them from any payment device you can find one and it will permit you to park anywhere you have see a "pay to park on this block" sign. It saves some time if you got to make multiple stops, you wont have to go to multiple payment devices.
Sounds good...but doesn't change my answer.

cwucowboy

Usually don't need the VIN but only the plate. Is the plate number present and is it correct? If not then you would have a good chance of having it tossed out. They have to accurately show that it was infact your vehicle and that it was there and committed the act.

And despite the fact that the passes are good for anywhere in the city you were parked near to that parking dispenser at the time the violation occured. You were in violation one minute past. I don't know but I bet the location is the exact spot that the machine is located and that is what they used to identify the location of the violation.

Now you can either pay the ticket as it will not affect your insurance. Only moving violations do. But if it's too much or you think that it wasn't fair then go to court anyway. Explain the situation to the judge. In the case of a moving violation the officer (the accusor) must appear in court and if he does not the violation is dismissed. Some get out of moving violations, it might work for parking violations as well.

If not or the enforcer is present then you can maybe plead with the judge. If you get one in a good mood, is simpathetic or whatever, you might get it tossed or at least reduced.

Cormando

Unfortunately, the plate number is correct. I was really hoping that the difference in location would have been enough. I think the only question that remains is number 2 from my original post.

If I were to explain my situation to a judge, would citing medical issues (eye problems) be a sound defense? I actually did have trouble reading those payment devices when it got dark.

patstew

If I were to explain my situation to a judge, would citing medical issues (eye problems) be a sound defense? I actually did have trouble reading those payment devices when it got dark.
Apparently your sight was good enough to be *driving* in the dark, so... doubtful.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">