• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

give away money before dying

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mccnumber2son

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? california
Elderly mother wants to distribute her estate to sons before she dies. How can this be done to avoid tax burden to her or her sons?

Kiawah

How much is the estate worth, and how many sons.

You can give away 12K (think it's raised to 13K in 2009) per year to any individual (so sons and spouses and grandkids can all get that amount), no questions asked.

If more than that is needed to be distributed, read IRS guidelines. I forget the publication number, but do a search on gifting on the Internal Revenue Service site. She can gift more than the annual amount away, but needs to declare it with a form on her income tax submission, and then it effectively reduces the amount out of her estate when she dies. The publication references the form to be submitted, I'm thinking it's 709 but it's been a couple years since I had to do that.

Beware of your state Medicaid/Medicaire rules for gifting lookback. They may deny her nursing home coverage if she gifted her money away before needing nursing care.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">