• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Can I be fired for not being in proper uniform??

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbh96

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

My employer fired me for not being in uniform, is that a reason to be fired. Let me explain the details. It was 2 days after a major ice storm hit our state and was declared a state of emergency. Over 75% of our county (work and live in the same city/county) was without power for seven days. However, after talking with the other few people that work in my store, I was the only one that didn't have power (they all live about 15 miles away and I live 3 miles away) I'm required to wear khakis, and company logo shirt and optional is a company logo hat. Since power was out, I wore the company logo shirt and hat and a pair of clean, neat jeans (I work for a home improvement center). When I got to work, I was told I was out of uniform. I explained that the power was still out and didn't have any clean khakis to wear. I was told that wasn't an excuse, that I could have went and gotten a hotel room. I explained that I tried to get a hotel room for me and my family but none had power. The closest hotel that did have power and wasn't booked was about 45 minutes to an hour away. The district manager, whom should I mention lived about 3 hours away and wasn't affected at all by the storm, then told me that I was fired.

Can he really fire me for that? Given the circumstances????

Some Random Guy

Unless you are part of a union or have a bona fide employment contract, yes, they can fire you for that. Whether is was a smart move on their part depends on how good of an employee you were.

Beth3

Terminating you for this reason seems extreme but yes, they can really fire you for that.

ecmst12

The decision to fire you does not, legally, need to make sense or be reasonable in order to be legal. Sorry.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Kentucky

My employer fired me for not being in uniform, is that a reason to be fired. Let me explain the details. It was 2 days after a major ice storm hit our state and was declared a state of emergency. Over 75% of our county (work and live in the same city/county) was without power for seven days. However, after talking with the other few people that work in my store, I was the only one that didn't have power (they all live about 15 miles away and I live 3 miles away) I'm required to wear khakis, and company logo shirt and optional is a company logo hat. Since power was out, I wore the company logo shirt and hat and a pair of clean, neat jeans (I work for a home improvement center). When I got to work, I was told I was out of uniform. I explained that the power was still out and didn't have any clean khakis to wear. I was told that wasn't an excuse, that I could have went and gotten a hotel room. I explained that I tried to get a hotel room for me and my family but none had power. The closest hotel that did have power and wasn't booked was about 45 minutes to an hour away. The district manager, whom should I mention lived about 3 hours away and wasn't affected at all by the storm, then told me that I was fired.

Can he really fire me for that? Given the circumstances????
**A: yes, you were out of uniform. If a mall Santa wore regular clothes instead of a Santa suit, he would be fired too.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">