• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Severance pay

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Woodger1

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Pennsylvania

I am being asked to sign a Resignation Agreement. I am willing to do so. I did some things wrong (sending confidential information through the email), however, I am also being accused of some things I did not do. The resignation agreement does not include any statements about severance pay. Am I entitled to ask for this?

Beth3

What is the purpose of their asking you to sign the resignation agreement? I don't see any point in your doing so unless they offer something in return - such as some severance pay or some other consideration you value. Sure, you can ask for severance pay but they have no obligation to provide any.

Some Random Guy

You are entitled to ask. Absent an employment contract or union agreement, they are under no obligation to provide severance pay.

If the severance agreement doesn't include severance, what are you agreeing to?

Woodger1

I am agreeing to resign, not to sue the organization, to not disclose any information regarding the resignation agreement, and to have medical benefits until the end of the month.

ecmst12

Signing that agreement will reduce your chances of getting unemployment benefits so I wouldn't unless they offer you some money.

Hot Topic

Even if you didn't do all the things they claim, you obviously did enough, e.g., sending confidential information via email, for them to want to terminate you. I don't see how you're entitled to severance pay - assuming you don't have a contract that requires them to pay it. They could have fired you outright, and severance pay would be a non-issue.

Fight, and they could decide to fire you. They could then just tell a potential employer about the confidential mail snafu.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">