• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

But were you clocked in???

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

S

SoozyQ

Was I clocked in ?!

Last month, I was coming down the corridor of my place of employment and must have slipped on some water from the inclement weather (floor was waxed and buffed).

I landed on my knees and hurt my leg - went to the emergency room - had xrays - said it was not broken, etc., will hurt a while.

Now, because I was not actually clocked in, although down the corridor from my department where I would be clocking in about 30 seconds later....they don't want to pay for the emergency room bills. That's all I want - for them to pay the er bills and my time spent there (I went right to work when discharged). Did I mention I work in a hospital and it was their emergency room?

:confused:Suzy in Oklahoma

B

buddy2bear

You were not clocked in, so that means you were not technically "at work." Hospitals are notorious for dotting the "i"s and crossing the "t"s, particularly when it involves their insurance.

You can, however, file a workers' comp claim and see where that will take you. Just make sure you get a workers' comp attorney. Also, I would think that the hospital would have insurance to cover visitors and patients. You were on their property. Have the workers' comp lawyer look into that. Unfortunately, because of the "stupidity" of some organizations, they end up paying more $$ than they would have if they had just treated people decent to begin with.

Many years ago, worked at a school attached to a world renouned hospital (JHH). Had wonderful medical benefits, on paper, but everyone was told, "don't use the emergency room unless you are carried in unconscious and on a stretcher!"

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">