• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

What state should I sue in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

jeepgirrl

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

Aloha,

I was working online and I believe I was wrongfully terminated. The company I worked for is headquartered in another state. I did all of my work for them, including the entire application process online from my home in Hawaii. Do I sue them here where I did all the work, or in the state where they are. I am sure they have other people working for them in just about every state, if that matters.

HomeGuru

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Hawaii

Aloha,

I was working online and I believe I was wrongfully terminated. The company I worked for is headquartered in another state. I did all of my work for them, including the entire application process online from my home in Hawaii. Do I sue them here where I did all the work, or in the state where they are. I am sure they have other people working for them in just about every state, if that matters.
**A: what does your contract state? When you get paid, what state does the check come from as t he employeer?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
What do you think was illegal about your termination? A wrongful term does not mean what most people think it means.

jeepgirrl

I would really prefer not to go into specifics at this time. It's not that I'm trying to hide anything, I just would prefer to keep those details private until I talk to a lawyer.

Thank you for the two replies. You may be right. It is possible that I do not have a case. But I'd still like to know if I can sue in Hawaii where I did the work or if I have to sue in the state where the company is. Every address I saw for them listed the other state including on their website, pay stubs, & 1099s.

seniorjudge

I would really prefer not to go into specifics at this time. It's not that I'm trying to hide anything, I just would prefer to keep those details private until I talk to a lawyer.

Thank you for the two replies. You may be right. It is possible that I do not have a case. But I'd still like to know if I can sue in Hawaii where I did the work or if I have to sue in the state where the company is. Every address I saw for them listed the other state including on their website, pay stubs, & 1099s.
We cannot answer your question till you answer this question:

What do you think was illegal about your termination? A wrongful term does not mean what most people think it means.

If you prefer not to answer it, then that is strictly your business.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
It's your right to keep that information to yourself if you choose. However, without knowing the basis for the suit it's hard to know whether you should sue in Hawaii, some other state, or whether you should be making a report to a regulatory agency instead of filing suit at all. (In some cases, even if you have a valid case, you MUST go through the appropriate regulatory agency before you can file a lawsuit.)

If you don't wish to reveal the details, and it's your right not to, the best answer we can give you is to consult with an employment attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">