• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

question about Dads estate

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

huckleberryeyes

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?
Georgia

sorry if I didn't put this in the right thread..I couldn't really find a place that it would fit in, unless estate.

In October 1989 my mother died from stomach cancer. My dad and mother owned a house together--it was in his and her names. When she died her share of the house went to me and my sister (only 2 children) in ownership with our dad. He remarried. The house was still in my mother and fathers name. New wife wanted me and sister to sign over our shares of the house to our dad therefore putting it In his name. She had the legal papers drawn up for me and sister to sign. I am the oldest. Sister signed and they were sent to me to sign. I did not. so when he passed, the house went into me, sisters and wives names. three owners.

My dad was married to this woman his second wife for almost 16 years when he died of lung cancer--April of 2008. After my daddy died. There was a will. He allowed for his wife to live in the house until she dies and then it will go to me and my sister. Or she can sell if she wants and give me and sister the money for our shares. There were personal items given out and wife was in charge of the estate.
Well while his wife was in the attic going through his things she came across journals that my dad had wrote----He had wrote these journals to my mother after she died. Its told that these letters cover a three year time span. He wrote my mother a letter every day after she died all the way until he remarried new wife. No one knew these letters existed. No one knew about the journals until she found them last spring/summer in the attic after he died. New wife took letters to my sister and had her edit them and type them out on her computer and burned over to disk so she could take them to an author--out of state--and have them published into a book.

Those letters are from my Father to my Mother yet I haven't gotten to read them. They still haven't even told me about the letters or the book. I have no idea whats in them or what they say. I was left out. This was strictly between his wife and my sister. Now the book is getting published.

Later in the letters my dad talks about new wife to my mother, but the letters weren't written to new wife they were written to my mother. does she have the legal right to do this? (claim ownership to these letters and print them into a book?) and I, being my dads daughter, has to wait until this book hits the stands before I can find out what my dad wrote to my mother in those letters???

my question is this, THOSE letters that are being publised into a book, were letters that my daddy wrote to my mother. I would think the letters should have went to me and my sister. do the courts see the letters as being wives property????????? Do I have rights as far as being his daughter and her not showing me the letters or allowing me to read them or even telling me about any of this that she is doing? They were my parents too.

To be honest, I don't want to see this book go into print. SO, just so you know, its not about the money. My daddy, no matter what they say. Would not have wanted his personal feelings being put out there for everyone to read. This was PRIVATE...something he did to help him get through a very hard time. Yet it is being published for the world to read. My mother wouldn't have wanted it either. She was also a very private person and didn't like to Draw attention to herself. These letters should not be published for personal gain. Do I have any rights in this situation?? Thank youWhat is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)?

curb1

In the first part of your comments, you said, "The house was still in my mother and fathers name." That is very important. You need to explain that in more detail.

curb1

What am I missing? This doesn't make sense for me.

"My dad and mother owned a house together--it was in his and her names. When she died her share of the house went to me and my sister (only 2 children) in ownership with our dad. He remarried. The house was still in my mother and fathers name."

BlondiePB

What am I missing? This doesn't make sense for me.

"My dad and mother owned a house together--it was in his and her names. When she died her share of the house went to me and my sister (only 2 children) in ownership with our dad. He remarried. The house was still in my mother and fathers name."
The house was never retitled after dad's first wife passed (the OP's mom). Upon death of dad, the surviving wife took her share so now surviving wife, OP, and OP's sibling own the house.

huckleberryeyes

that is exactly correct Blondie! (thanks for helping me clear that up!)
after my mother died, the house still remained in her and my dads name. it was never switched over to me and my sister, until my dad passed away and it went to probate, then it was changed into step mothers name and me and my sisters. step mother got my dads share/ me and my sister got our mothers.

sorry, I felt like I needed to give you all the details. This situation is in Georgia, I don't live there, I live in memphis.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">