• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Copyrights on Crochet Patterns

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

K

K. Rhoades

About 5 years ago I saw a crochet pattern in a magazine that I purchased. This particular pattern was made in strips or blocks and had a heart design in it. You then had to edge each piece and set them together. I have developed a pattern for a baby afghan that has the heart design in it but it is made all in one piece, then edged. Their pattern has a heart in every block. Mine has hearts just in the corners and in the very center. I'm sure the magazine material is copyrighted. Can I copyright my pattern since it is different or would I be infringing on their copyright?

K. Rhoades
Alabama

L

lawrat

I am a law school graduate. What I offer is mere information, not to be construed as forming an attorney client relationship.

Okay, is the magazine the owner of the copyright or the person who made the pattern? I mean are they featuring someone else's work or their own? Then, has it been trademarked as a company name?

So, this is the situation: it is one of substantial similarity -- anything that is substantially similar is their copyright, everything else is yours -- as a derivative work.

What you do is this: contact the copyright office and call their customer service line. The more information you provide to them, the more accurate the answer will be -- i.e. describing the picture and then your pattern.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">