• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Drug testing cost - who pays?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

txdogmom

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Texas

Who is responsible for paying for a pre-employment drug test? IF the employer is requiring it shouldn't they pay for it? If the employee has to pay, can they specify where they want the drug test done so that they can shop around for a cheaper cost? $30 for a drug test seems excessive; usually the actual cost is $10-15.

JETX

Who is responsible for paying for a pre-employment drug test?
There is no statutory requirement (at least that I know of) that stipulates who pays for pre-employment testing. If you don't want to pay and they won't hire without it, find another.
You might offer to pay for the test with reimbursement if you pass.

IF the employer is requiring it shouldn't they pay for it?
That would be normal... but as noted above, not required.

If the employee has to pay, can they specify where they want the drug test done so that they can shop around for a cheaper cost?
Depends on what the employer allows.

pattytx

Agree. Just as an aside, the company I used to be with hired all its plant employees through a staffing agency, 90 days temp to hire. The agency required the worker to sign an authorization that the drug test cost would be deducted from his final pay if he quit or the assignment was terminated for cause, within the first three weeks, or if it came back positive. I'm wondering how much they got of that, as these were very high turnover jobs. We paid for the test up front and billed the agency if the tests came back positive.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">