• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Investigated but no charges

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Name Withheld

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? CA

I was wondering if a person is investigated for a possible crime but the DA/police decides there is not enough evidence, is there a police report/record created that that person was investigated but not charged? If so are these reports/records accessable by the general public or do you have to be a lawyer to get ahold of them? If they are accessable to the public what information does one need to locate this information and where would one go to get it? Thanks.

CdwJava

I was wondering if a person is investigated for a possible crime but the DA/police decides there is not enough evidence, is there a police report/record created that that person was investigated but not charged?
It depends on what the nature of the incident is/ If someone claimed your dog did not have a dog license, and they found he did - probably no report. if you were accused of breaking in to your neighbor's house and they had some good reason to believe you did, there probably WOULD be a report.

If so are these reports/records accessable by the general public or do you have to be a lawyer to get ahold of them?
An agency may choose to release a closed file if they choose to. In general, agencies do not tend to release investigative reports and pursuant to the Government Code they do not always have to.

If they are accessable to the public what information does one need to locate this information and where would one go to get it? Thanks.
You can call the police department holding the report and ask if they will release it to you.

- Carl

Name Withheld

You can call the police department holding the report and ask if they will release it to you.

- Carl

Do I have to know the exact police station or can I just go to Hill St also what information do I have to have to get access to the reports? I assume the name of the person being accused would be one thing is there any other information I need to have inorder to get the reports.

CdwJava

Do I have to know the exact police station or can I just go to Hill St also what information do I have to have to get access to the reports? I assume the name of the person being accused would be one thing is there any other information I need to have inorder to get the reports.
If this is a large agency with more than one precinct, then you should probably call and find out where you go to seek a copy of a report. They can probably search by suspect, victim, or even address as well as crime alleged. But, as I said, they are probably under no legal obligation to tell you anything ... it depends on the details of the matter.

My department would not release it at all. Yours might.

- Carl

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">